Las Vegas #1 Again! - The Dumbest City in U.S.
If you haven't been hiding under a rock over the last few years, you're probably already aware of some of the various #1 records Las Vegas has attained during this period - records to include:
- The highest unemployment rate in the nation (15% )
- Top city for personal debt (link)
- The highest bankruptcy rate in the nation (link)
- The highest foreclosure rate in the nation (link)
- The most stressful city in the nation (link)
- City where > 80% of homeowners are upside down (link)
Well, as of today - beep, beep, beep... Breaking news!!! Hot off the press - Another #1 label can now be added to the lineup:
Las Vegas is #1 - The Dumbest City
The site analyzed the nation's 55 metropolitan areas with 1 million or more residents, evaluating those markets based on nonfiction book sales tracked by research firm Nielsen BookScan; the number of libraries per capita; the ratio of colleges and universities; and the percentage of residents older than 25 with bachelor's and master's degrees.
If you tally all of those factors, Las Vegas ranks dead-last among the country's big cities. Of its 1.9 million residents, 14 percent earned bachelor's degrees, and 7 percent hold master's degrees. Las Vegans have bought 1.1 million adult nonfiction books year-to-date, or fewer than one tome per resident. (But hey, we'll go head to head against anybody on adult-video sales!)